Politics
Zamfara APC crisis: Yari’s faction slams Yarima, says plot to influence court on excos dissolution will fail

The All Progressives Congress (APC) in Zamfara State, faction of former governor of the State, Abdul’aziz Yari, has slammed Senator Ahmed Sani Yarima over his statement on the litigation, challenging the dissolution of the party executives.

The national caretaker committee of the party being chaired by the Yobe State governor, Mai Mala Buni, had announced the dissolution of the State Working Committee ( SWC) of the APC in Zamfara State following the defection of the state governor, Bello Matawalle, to the party in June this year.

Not satisfied with the dissolution of the executives, Yari’s camp instituted a legal action challenging the action of the caretaker committee. It was on this premise that the camp shunned the recently conducted congresses of the party in the state.
Yarima, had during a meeting at the weekend, said the suit challenging the dissolution of the executives would soon be thrown out.
Specifically, Yarima in a video clip of the meeting that had gone viral, said the court would not recognize any faction of the APC in the state, saying since the “national leadership of the party is with the Governor, court cannot do anything”
Reacting, Yari’s camp through its Chairman, Alhaji Lawal Liman, faulted the former governor’s statement.
“It’s rather unfortunate that Yarima is only interested in politics and issues that further compound the problems of the people of the state. Yarima has never commented on the security situation of the state even when his local government (Bakura) was in the eye of the storm, he never found it necessary to raise an ordinary motion on the floor of the Senate where he represented the people for 12 years. Just last week the road leading to Shinkafi from Kaura Namoda was blocked several times many people killed and properties destroyed, the same thing happened in Maru, Bungudu and Tsafe LGAs, Yarima was never heard, either condoling or commiserating with the people.
“Rather than playing the role of father to all, Yarima’s interest is always on fuelling the feud among party members in the state. In the viral video, he was heard advising the governor to demolish the properties of opposition politicians. He seems to be blaming every one for his failed presidential ambition.
“We don’t know when Yarima became a judge. The courts cannot be bought, influenced or intimidated, the worthy example of the Supreme Court judgement that brought Yarima’s new master to power and the recent judgement recognizing Shekarau’s faction in Kano is enough for all failed politicians like Yarima to know that Nigeria’s Judiciary has come of age and will always do the right thing regardless of which side the Federal Government is supporting in a particular case.
“ We are very confident that the court will restore law and order in the party by restoring the members of our SWC, notwithstanding Yarima’s efforts to brew crisis by denting the image of the judiciary.
“The dissolution of the SWC by Buni was illegal and no amount of blackmail or intimidation by the Yarimas of this world would stop the courts from righting the wrong,” he said.

Politics
Group accuses politicians of fueling insecurity in Benue, warns of planned civil unrest

The Coalition for Good Governance and Transparency in Nigeria, in partnership with Advocates for Social Justice, has accused some political actors—both past and present—from Benue State of orchestrating the persistent insecurity plaguing the state.

Speaking during a world press conference held in Abuja on Sunday, the group’s Chief Convener, Comrade Igwe Ude-Umanta, alleged that the security crisis intensified following a judgment by the Benue State Local Government Election Tribunal in favor of elected councilors from seven local government areas in the Benue North West Senatorial District (Zone B).

According to Ude-Umanta, certain politicians, angered by the tribunal’s ruling, are inciting violence in the state and attempting to extend the unrest to the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja.
He claimed that these individuals aim to destabilize the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and undermine democratic institutions.
The group, however, called on security agencies to go after serial killers, and investigate cult groups and other actors being used to perpetrate violence in the state.
“Since the day the Benue State Local Government Election Tribunal delivered judgment in favour of the elected councilors from the seven local government areas of Benue North West Senatorial District, zone B, hell has been let loose in Benue. Everyday, there are pockets of killings which we believe are being sponsored by some national assembly members who constitute themselves as enemies of the State.
“It is worrisome that people who are elected to serve the people are the ones also killing them indirectly, just to score political points. What will the people gain if they continue to lose their loved ones because you want a state of emergency declared in your own State. These rascals must be stopped. Do they think that Nigerians would fold their arms and watch these few elements pull down the Country?
“We call on the security agencies to immediately go after the serial killers in Benue state. Street and campus cults are being used while they would blame it on the State Governor for failing to provide security even though they know fully well that the State Governors do not have control over security matters in Nigeria but the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
“These same characters will boldly tell the world that they are supporting Mr President yet, they are bastardizing his administration and secretly sponsoring insecurity in Benue State.
“We wish to raise this alarm, and calling on all relevant security agencies that some disgruntled persons from Benue State, among them is a former APC Chairman, some serving National Assembly members and some appointees of Mr. President are currently mobilising more than twenty thousand people for a protest in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja in a bid to cause another chaos in the country. This must not be allowed.
“They orchestrated pockets of killings in Benue and they want to amplify it in the FCT through a mass protest and cause civil unrest in the Nigeria seat of power. The security agencies should immediately investigate and charge anyone found involved with treasonable felony, no matter how highly placed they are before it is too late.
“We urged President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to watch his back as the people in question are around the government and they have access to funds and could do anything just to prove a point. Mr President sir, your enemies are within you but you shall overcome all animosity. They are people who have access to security and huge stolen funds which could be used against anyone or authority.
“Mr. President must know that his government is being attacked by the same people he appointed into sensitive positions, in the guise of getting at the Executive Governor of Benue State, the working governor.
“We know and they know, that the only thing they could do is to cause civil unrest and cause more death and hardship on Benue communities and Nigeria at large just to give the government a bad image.
“The Inspector General of Police must not take this information for granted as the days are near. The Police must be seen working just like the Honourable Chief Justice of Nigeria is working.
“To this end, we call on President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to immediately deflate the powers in Abuja backing civil unrest in Benue State even if they are top government officials in the Renewed Hope Administration”, the group stated.
The group also criticized the judiciary, alleging judicial misconduct by Justice Maurice Ikpambese, Chief Judge of Benue State, and Justice M.M. Adamu of the FCT High Court. They accused the judges of issuing conflicting and controversial rulings on the relocation of the Benue Local Government Election Tribunal to Abuja, in contravention of Benue electoral laws.
The group said it is assured that its petition against the judges is receiving attention.
Ude-Umanta commended some members of the tribunal, particularly Justice D.E. Igoh, Evelyn Ngodoo Esq., and Adamu Stephen Jime Esq., for upholding judicial integrity despite political pressure.

Politics
1,630 delegates set to elect APC guber candidate in Anambra amid calm, orderly process

Contrary to reports circulating in some sections of the media, approximately 1,630 delegates have converged on Awka, Anambra State, to elect the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate for the November 8 governorship election.

Most of the accredited delegates were already in place Saturday evening, awaiting the commencement of voting.

Initially, seven aspirants purchased the party’s nomination and expression of interest forms. However, by 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, only four remained in the race.
The remaining contenders include Hon. Nicholas Ukachukwu, Chief Valentine Ozigbo, Engr. Johnbosco Onunkwo, and Hon. Edozie Madu.
According to official statements, three aspirants—Hon. Chukwuma Umoeji, Sir Paul Chukwuma, and Prof. Obiora Okonkwo—have withdrawn from the contest.
Earlier in the day, the Chairman of the Anambra Governorship Primary Election Committee and Governor of Cross River State, Senator Bassey Otu, held a series of strategy meetings with sub-committees to ensure a smooth and transparent exercise.
A Saturday evening visit to the election venue at Dr. Dora Akunyili Women Development Centre revealed a peaceful atmosphere, with delegates arriving in an orderly manner and security personnel strategically positioned across the area.

Politics
Anambra 2025: Soludo emerges APGA primary election unopposed

The Governor of Anambra State, Prof. Charles Chukwuma Soludo has won the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA governorship ticket for the State governorship election scheduled for November 8, 2025.

About 3,260 delegates voted at the Alex Ekweme Square, Awka on Saturday to return Soludo as the party’s flagbearer to contest for a second term of office.

Soludo has no rival contested against him in Saturday’s primary election and he also retained his Deputy, Dr. Onyekachukwu Ibezim who is currently deputizing him as his running mate for the 2025 governorship election.
Announcing the results, the returning officer for the election, Uche Nwegbo, said the total delegates were 3,260, while 3,175 were accredited to vote and four votes were invalid
Nwegbo said, “Total delegates for this election is 3,260, 3,175 are accredited delegates, 3,172 is the total votes, while 0 4 votes were invalid.
“The total yes-votes garnered by the governor is 3,168, while there were no no-votes. So, in line with the INEC guidelines and with the powers conferred on me as the chief returning officer for this election, I, Uche Nwegbo, hereby declare the governor, Prof. Chukwuma Soludo, as returned, as the candidate of our party.”
Soludo accepted the outcome of the primary election and thanked party members for their commitment to the party and the people of Anambra State.
He said, “We as a party have grown from strength to strength. We are the first registered progressive party in Nigeria, and our people have taken APGA as their own. Anambra is APGA and APGA is Anambra.
“I want to say that I am humbled by this historic display of solidarity to be able to raise the flag of our party again, and I want to say that I accept this nomination wholeheartedly.
“Anambra keeps rising with the progressive leadership that we have had through APGA, and I will continue to appreciate the leadership of the party.
“I appreciate the members of our party and the INEC observers. I do not think that we have ever had this kind of peaceful election where everything was orderly and in one hour everyone was able to cast their votes.
“In 2021, Anambra interviewed all the candidates and employed me, and all through the journey, three years down the line, you have been able to give us support. That is why we have been able to do what we do, which people say is magical. We are doing this without borrowing one Naira, and I know we will continue to do even more, and we continue to ask for your prayers.
“We are only at the introductory stage; Anambra has not seen anything yet. I appreciate the citizens and captains of industries who have been supporting us, and we will keep growing higher and higher.
“I appreciate the support groups, especially all that endorsed us for a second term. They are still coming up with more donations to the campaigns, and I thank those market women who are still eager to donate to our campaign. Many political parties have declared support for us, and never in Anambra State have we ever had a consensus like what we have today.
“When I took oath of office, I promised not to let Anambra down, not to let my supporters down, not to let my family down, and not to let APGA down. We are working 247 to ensure that. Many people have said we do not have any opposition, but I say that we will not only win all 21 local governments but also the 326 wards. Someone said we should even aim for all the polling units in the state. We want to make a statement.”
“In 2017, I gave a lecture which I titled ‘If it is not broken, why mend it’, and it became popular. Today, I want to say that I am re-nominating Dr Onyeka Ibezim as my deputy governorship candidate for the election. If it is not broken, why mend it? I want to say that the battle has only begun,” he added.

-
Security1 week ago
New Commissioner of Police in Niger, Elleman sends strong warning to criminals
-
News1 week ago
Abia: LG Chairman, Iheke accused of using soldiers to detain IRS agent, claims Governor Otti’s support
-
News2 days ago
Senators Natasha, Abbo unite in peddling dangerous falsehood against me – Akpabio
-
News1 week ago
Kogi Governor, Ahmed Usman Ododo salutes Tinubu at 74
-
News6 days ago
Kogi government bans rallies ahead of Natasha’s homecoming slated for Tuesday
-
News1 week ago
Akpabio pays historic visit to office of SA to President on Senate Matters
-
News1 week ago
Plateau LP stakeholders endorses Barr Gyang Zi’s defection to APC
-
News6 days ago
Iran may secure a deal before Trump’s deadline – or face Israeli strikes in Tehran – analysis