Security
Scores of bandits, leaders dead in Zamfara military onslaught

Many bandits’ leaders and their foot soldiers have been killed during raids in Zamfara State, multiple sources told the Daily Trust Monday.

They were reportedly killed by ground troops and through aerial reconnaissance since the blockage of communication and restriction of movement in the state.

One of the sources, a military official said they were recording successes in the ongoing massive onslaught against notorious bandits in Zamfara and its environs.
He also said locals were cooperating with them in the onslaught against the bandits and criminals who had abducted many people and waiting to collect a ransom.
Asked whether the Super Tucano aircraft recently acquired are being used in the operations, the source said no.
“We are not using it in this operation. It is our alpha jets that we are using and the clearance is massive and successful.”
The source, who does not want to be named, said the operation was being carried out by the military and sister security agencies.
“It is an all-around operation involving the army, the air force and DSS. We are happy that locals are supporting us with useful information,” he said.
The Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) had last week mandated all telecommunication operators in the country to stop extending services to Zamfara and its environs, effective Friday, September 3, 2021.
This was barely six months after the federal government declared Zamfara State a ‘no-fly zone’ in a renewed effort to fight banditry and other forms of insecurity in the state.
Our correspondents report that Governors Bello Mohammed Matawalle (Zamfara), Aminu Bello Masari (Katsina), Nasir El-Rufai (Kaduna), and Abubakar Sani Bello (Niger) had in separate directives around the same time called for restrictions of movement and some economic activities in frontline areas in their states.
Hundreds of people have been killed by bandits in the four states and their fortunes destroyed during raids.
Business activities including farming were also crippled, making life difficult for people amid poverty and deprivation.
The state governors had taken different measures to stem the tide, including publicly calling out the federal government. The recent restrictions of movement among other measures had been viewed as extreme in some quarters but the governors said it was a bitter pill that must be swallowed.
‘It’s about action, not noise making’
Though the federal government has not extended the communication ban to Katsina, Kaduna and Niger, a source close to the security and intelligence community said the operatives were directed to confront the bandits and speak less on what they were doing.
“The military, police and DSS have been directed to refrain from issuing statements on their operation so as to checkmate informants from alerting the bandits on what is going on,” he said.
“Despite what some people are saying, there is no going back on the bombardment. The priority is to kill the bandits’ leaders.
“It is a misnomer for anyone to say the bandits should be given amnesty…Contrary to the widely circulated opinion, findings revealed that most of them are born criminals and will never repent.
“If not how can you explain the rape of somebody’s wife by the criminals? How can you explain the wholesome raid of villages where innocent people are being killed? It is wrong for some people to be unnecessarily sympathetic to the bandits. The ban on movement and communication, though tough but is worth it,” the source said.
A local from Zamfara, Mahe Musa, who called one of our correspondents when he came to Funtua in Katsina State, Monday, said the bandits were brainwashing them to stage a protest against the decision taken by the Zamfara State government.
“The bandits have been boxed to a corner, they are not finding it easy,” he said.
“They no longer have access to supplies but because they have control over some communities, they are asking us to stage a protest so that the governments at the state and national levels would lift the restrictions imposed on movements, sale of petrol, cattle and movements in some areas.
“Traditional and religious leaders are sensitising people against any revolt, we would not listen to the bandits,” he said.
His colleague, Malam Aliyu corroborated saying some of the bandits were enticing the locals.
“They claimed they would stop attacking people once life comes back to normal. I don’t know what they meant by normal because they made life hell for people when they were moving freely,” he said.
Bandits forced to release captives
Governor Matawalle said on Monday that bandits are being forced to release people under their captivity because they cannot feed them after they were denied access to food, fuel and means of communication, disclosed on Monday.
Matawalle, who spoke to Deutsche Welle Radio, said people that have spent weeks or months in captivity have returned to their homes and armed criminals are abandoning their motorbikes after they ran out of fuel.
“The chief of Army Staff was in the state to assess the operations. Troops and the local vigilantes are currently beginning to reach out to the armed criminals in their hideouts inside forests,” the governor said.
According to him, “aggressive military operation is ongoing. All their camps would be dismantled one by one and we are recording massive success.
“I am not going anywhere; I will remain in the state throughout these operations. I must share the pains of the disruption of the telecommunication services with the good people of the state.
“As you can see, checkpoints have been mounted after every five kilometres throughout the state so that no criminal would escape,” he said.
We’ll endure telcos service disruption – Residents
Some residents in Zamfara said they would endure the disruption of telecommunications services in the state no matter how long it would take if it would bring back lasting peace in the state.
“We must exercise patience and exhibit some semblance of perseverance. We have suffered a lot as a people. We wouldn’t complain about whatever measures put in place by the authorities to arrest the situation,” a resident who gave his name as Aminu Muhammed, said.
“Of course, we are suffering because you can’t communicate with anyone via the telephone. If you want to even greet your brother, you will have to go and look for him so that you meet face to face. It has increased the burden of our livelihood but is okay,” he said.
Another resident, Iliyasu Sani, said things that were made easy with the advent of mobile telecommunications were now difficult after the services were seized.
“We didn’t know that telecommunications have made things easy for us…Life is tough now because you are restricted,” he said.
“I had to travel to Funtua to collect some caps. I could have just asked someone to deliver the message through commercial drivers had the services not been disrupted.
“But, in as long as the measure would bring back peace to the state, we would have no problem with that. It is just temporary. It is a matter of life and death. We have been at the mercy of criminals for quite a long time,” he said.
A source in one of the telcos said the decision to shut down telecommunication services in Zamfara was meant to disrupt communication between the armed criminals and their local collaborators.
He said there were local collaborators of the armed criminals who informed them about whatever moves by the security operatives.
Another source said, “Several security operatives have been killed in an ambush by these criminals. The collaborators are the ones informing the criminals about the movement of security operatives, exposing them to possible ambush. It had happened several times before.
“But if the link between them is cut, security operatives can reach the criminals and dislodge them. The decision is painful but the residents have to bear with it. You can use a painful process to remove another pain,” he said.
Meanwhile, another military source has confirmed that an armed Recce mission by NAF helicopter gunships intercepted a large gathering of bandits dressed in black clothes with several rustled herds of cattle around Kawara Village in Giwa LGA of Kaduna State.
The source said, “On sighting the aircraft, the bandits ran and hide in between the cattle while navigating their movement. After clustering at a water crossing point, the bandits were struck in successive passes by the aircraft.
“Some casualties that were spotted to be struggling to scamper for safety were also successfully neutralised by the aircraft. A reverse trail back to their initial departure point revealed a possible logistics base which was also struck until it went into flames,” he said.
He said security operatives on the ground at Kawara later confirmed that over 40 bandits were killed while motorcycles and their food items were destroyed at the camps during the attack.
Credit: Daily Trust

Security
Edo Travellers’ Killing: Police arrest 14 suspects

As public outrage continue to trail the killing of travelers in Uromi, Edo State on Thursday 27th March, 2025, the Nigerian Police authorities in the State has announced the arrest of 14 suspects in connection with the killing.

The victims said, to be hunters were travelling to the Northern part of the country when mob swooped and killed them on suspicion that they are Fulani kidnapper.

The Police said, they are 16 powers and all of them were killed.
The Spokesman for the Police Command, Moses Yamu said some persons have been arrested in connection with the attack.
“In the course of investigations, fourteen (14) suspects have been arrested in connection with the crime, while an emergency meeting was convened with stakeholders and members of the community to address the situation,” Yamu said in a statement on Friday.
Narrating how the incident happened, the Edo Police Command said it occurred when a “truck with registration number KKF 225 XA coming from Port Harcourt, conveying 25 travellers from Elele, a suburb of Rivers State, was accosted by some vigilante group members at Uromi, and some of the travelers who found in possession of locally made dane guns were arrested”.
“While this was ongoing, some vigilante members raised an alarm of them being suspected kidnappers, which led some members and passersby in the community to attack and lynch sixteen (16) of the occupants while the truck conveying them was equally burnt.
“Police operatives attached to the Uromi Division got wind of the incident and swiftly stormed the scene where ten (10) of the travelers were rescued, two of whom sustained various degrees of injuries and were rushed to a hospital where they are currently positively responding to treatment.”
Yamu said a unit of Police Mobile Force personnel with other command tactical teams had been deployed to the area to forestall a breakdown of law and order.
The police said “investigations continue” over the incident and cautioned “against any form of reprisal attacks”.

Security
New Commissioner of Police in Niger, Elleman sends strong warning to criminals

The new Commissioner of Police in Niger State, CP Abdullahi Adamu Elleman has sent a strong warning to criminals operating in the State and vowed that his tenure as a Police boss would change the tide for them or else they should relocate elsewhere.

He sent this warning after he assumed office upon his posting to the State, insisting that criminal elements should stay clear of the State or be ready to incur the full weight of the command.

He said the command under his watch will engage a high level of professional standards in effectively policing the state calling on well meaning individual and critical stakeholders to partner with him in ensuring crime free Niger State.
According to the CP, he is already aware of the activities of youth restiveness and other criminal activities in Minna the state capital assuring that he will make the state unbearable for them.
Speaking through the Command Public Relation Officer (PPRO), while Fielding Question from Journalists at the Police headquarters in Minna Friday, Wasiu Abiodun,SP insisted that the command will not fold its hands to watch some disgruntled elements engaging in an act that will breach the security of the people.
He underscores his command preparedness to ensure the maintenance of law and order in policing the command through community related policing appealing to officers and men of the command to leave above board in making Niger State unsafe for criminal minded elements.
In his words,” as you know, the Commissioner of Police, CP Abdullahi Adamu Elleman just took over the mantle of the command on Thursday the 27th, of March 2025.
“He addressed all Area Commanders, Divisional Police Officers and other sectional heads of the Command. He assured them of building on the legacy of his Predecessor CP Ebenezer Shawulu Danmaman.
“He also requested that they should extend their hands of fellowship to him for him to succeed in chasing and curtail the activities of these miscreants to the barest level in Minna the capital of Niger State.”
Speaking on the Command’s preparedness to ensure crime free eid ul-Fitr celebration, CP Abdullahi Adamu Elleman disclosed that the command will deploy enough personnel to all praying grounds across the state. This according to him is to ensure the safety of worshipers.
He warned parents and guardians in the state to monitor the activities of their wards and children to guard against any act that will bring them to face the wrath of the law.
While appreciating men and officers of the Command for their professional resilience in the maintenance of law and order, CP Abdullahi Elleman warned that he has zero tolerance for any act of unprofessional conducts that will bring the Command to ridicule.

Security
Kogi: CP Dantawaye engage stakeholders in Ijumu, emphasises security, community policing

In a bid to strengthen security of lives and property and to foster peaceful coexistence in Ijumu Local Government Area, the Commissioner of Police, Kogi State Command CP Miller G. Dantawaye, convened a high-level meeting with key stakeholders, within the Local Government, to address pressing security concerns and enhance community Policing efforts.

In a statement by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Ovye Aya, made available to CAPITAL POST on Tuesday, said, the meeting was attended by prominent dignitaries, including the State Security Adviser, Commander Jerry Omodara, Rtd, the representative of the Department of State Services (DSS); the member, representing Ijumu, at the State House of Assembly, the Honourable Commissioner for Special Duties, the Chairman of the Local Government, the Olujumu of Ijumu, as well as members of Miyetti Allah.

In his address, the CP emphasized the importance of collaboration in tackling insecurity. He called for intelligence-sharing between residents and Security Agencies, stressing that law enforcement alone cannot ensure safety without community support. He called for the effective collaboration between the Police and their host community.
He further assured of involving immigration agencies to monitor and regulate movement as well as Proper documentation that will enhance accountability and reduce security threats within the Local Government.
The meeting also addressed land ownership rights, the role of traditional institutions, and the need for structured conflict resolution. The CP urged all parties to respect existing leadership structures and seek peaceful resolutions through dialogue.
Reaffirming the Police unwavering commitment to professionalism and human rights, the CP warned against lawlessness, stating that Security Agencies are fully prepared to take action against any individual or group threatening the peace in the area. He urged residents to remain vigilant and report any suspicious activities promptly.

-
Security5 days ago
New Commissioner of Police in Niger, Elleman sends strong warning to criminals
-
News4 days ago
Abia: LG Chairman, Iheke accused of using soldiers to detain IRS agent, claims Governor Otti’s support
-
News5 days ago
Kogi Governor, Ahmed Usman Ododo salutes Tinubu at 74
-
News5 days ago
Plateau LP stakeholders endorses Barr Gyang Zi’s defection to APC
-
News2 days ago
Kogi government bans rallies ahead of Natasha’s homecoming slated for Tuesday
-
News5 days ago
Akpabio pays historic visit to office of SA to President on Senate Matters
-
News3 days ago
Iran may secure a deal before Trump’s deadline – or face Israeli strikes in Tehran – analysis
-
Business5 days ago
FCT Minister reveals how he would aggressively pursue revenue collection, tours infrastructure