Connect with us

News

Hardship: Government feels concerned, working to address it – Speaker Abbas

Published

on

Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Tajudeen Abbas and Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Benjamin Kalu

Following the resurgence of insecurity, hunger and other social malaise that have triggered pockets of protests in some parts of the country, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Abbas Tajudeen, has acknowledged the concerns of Nigerians and said, government was doubling its effors to address it.

Advertisements

He gave the assurance at a press conference in Abuja on Thursday, stating that those challenges facing the nation at this time are tests of resilience and unity of Nigerians.

Advertisements

He said: “The very fabric of our society is being tested, our resilience strained, and our unity challenged. However, amidst these trials, our spirit remains unbroken, and our resolve to overcome and thrive grows stronger.

“As representatives of the Nigerian people, we cannot pay lip service to the plight of the same individuals who elected us into office to protect their interests. It is our resolve to see that Nigerians, wherever they are, live their normal lives in peace and relative ease.”

While noting that the House was “acutely” aware of the rising security challenges affecting different parts of the country, Speaker Abbas said as elected representatives, they also acknowledge the pain and suffering of every family that had been a victim of “brutal crimes and needless violence.”

“Let it be known that your cries have not fallen on deaf ears, and your tears have not gone unseen. We stand in solidarity with every Nigerian affected and commit to deploying robust legislative measures to empower our security agencies, ensure justice, and restore peace and order in our communities,” the Speaker stated.

In the face of such hardships, Speaker Abbas said it was natural to feel a sense of despair and frustration. “The impact of the challenges I have identified above is felt in every home, on every street, and in the hearts of every Nigerian. Yet, it is precisely in times like these that our true strength as a nation is revealed. Our resilience, unity, and indomitable spirit have seen us through difficult times before, and I have no doubt that these qualities will carry us through again,” he said.

To those affected by the scourge of insecurity, the Speaker said: “I want you to know that your government hears you loud and clear. We are taking decisive steps to address the root causes of this menace, deploying both military and diplomatic resources to ensure the safety and security of all Nigerians. It is a complex challenge, one that requires patience and time to resolve, but I assure you that we are making progress.”

On the economic front, Speaker Abbas said the government was equally committed to reversing the downturn and setting the country back on a path of sustainable growth. He noted that the policies of the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu administration were designed to stimulate the economy, encourage investment, and create jobs. “We understand the urgency of the situation and are working tirelessly to alleviate the hardships many of you are experiencing,” he stated.

The Speaker stressed: “The issue of food shortages is particularly close to my heart. Food security is fundamental to national security. We are implementing comprehensive strategies to boost agricultural production, improve supply chains, and ensure that affordable food is accessible to everyone, regardless of where they live.

“I ask for your patience as these measures take effect. Change, especially of the magnitude we are aiming for, does not happen overnight. It requires time, effort, and, most importantly, the support of every Nigerian. Each of us has a role to play in this journey towards a more secure, prosperous, and food-secure Nigeria. Whether you are a farmer, a business owner, a teacher, or a student, your contribution matters.

“Together, we can overcome these challenges and build a brighter future for our beloved country. As your Speaker, I am filled with renewed hope for what we can achieve together. In conclusion, I call upon every Nigerian, from the north to the south, from the east to the west, to join hands in solidarity. Let us support our government’s policies, let us be patient, and let us work together towards the common goal of a better, stronger, and more unified Nigeria.”

Speaker Abbas also noted that the President Tinubu had demonstrated an unwavering commitment to improving the security situation and enhancing the capability of the Armed Forces. The Speaker recalled that just on Tuesday, he attended the induction ceremony of the T-129 ATAK helicopter and the King Air 360i aircraft into the esteemed Nigerian Air Force.

The acquisition of these state-of-the-art aircrafts, he stated, clearly indicated the government’s dedication to investing in the security infrastructure of the nation. He added that it also reflected a proactive stance in adapting to the dynamic challenges of modern warfare and a commitment to providing the Armed Forces with the best tools to defend Nigeria and the people.

The Speaker also recalled that on November 8, 2023, the President signed the N2.176trillion Supplementary Appropriation Act to strengthen Nigeria’s security architecture and address Nigeria’s critical infrastructure deficit, amongst other considerations. “These investments in the face of global economic downturn and budgetary constraints attest to the government’s determination to end insecurity in Nigeria,” he said.

His words: “While recognising and commending the patriotic and courageous efforts of our security agencies, we must have the courage to effect changes where necessary. These are among the issues that the forthcoming Legislative Summit on Security will address. This summit, which comes up in a matter of weeks, will, among others, allow us to hear directly from the key stakeholders in the sector and come up with legislative measures to modernise our security system and improve its operational efficiency and effectiveness.

“As emphasised in our Legislative Agenda, the time has come for us to demand greater transparency from our security agencies and full accountability for all the funds spent and earmarked for spending in the sector. We kick-started our sectoral debates in November last year with the Service Chiefs and the Inspector General of Police to demonstrate the seriousness we attach to security.”

On the economy, the Speaker stated that members of the House were also aware of the challenges facing their constituents across Nigeria. Of particular concern to the House, he noted, was the high inflation rates, particularly the rate of food inflation. “As you are all aware, various factors, including insecurity, economic downturns and climate change-induced disruptions, have exacerbated this crisis,” he noted.

Speaker Abbas commended the “rapid and decisive response” of the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, to the issue of food security. He recalled that the 2023 Supplementary Budget provided N200billion palliative package, mainly for grains, seeds, agricultural inputs and equipment for farmers. He noted that this momentum had been sustained in the 2024 budget, which he said had significantly improved budgetary allocations to all critical sectors of the economy, especially defense, healthcare, education and infrastructure.

The Speaker also recalled that in 2023, the President declared a state of emergency on food security, focusing on improving both availability and affordability. He said some immediate measures approved the release of fertilisers and grains to farmers and households, particularly given the fallouts from the removal of fuel subsidies.

Others, he noted, included boosting the national strategic food reserve and introducing a price stabilisation mechanism, especially for critical food items. And just a few days ago, President Tinubu also constituted a special presidential committee headed by the Chief of Staff to the President to take immediate steps to arrest the worsening food situation.

Speaker Abbas partly stated: “We in the National Assembly have supported and will continue to support the government’s efforts in finding effective solutions to these challenges. For the first time in the history of the Nigerian legislature, the 10th House set up a Committee on Nutrition and Food Security with a mandate to strengthen the legislative framework for nutrition governance in Nigeria, advocate for the inclusion of nutrition in government priority programmes and monitor resource allocation to nutrition in the annual budget estimates.

“I wish to reassure all Nigerians that the House will prioritise funding for programmes and initiatives to alleviate hunger and enhance security. We are fully committed to supporting policies that will stimulate our economy, provide relief, and ensure relief is felt in every home.

“In addition to promoting security so that farmers can feel safe to return to their farms, the House will support import and export policies that stabilise food prices and ensure adequate supply of essential food items at affordable rates, especially for our constituents living in rural areas. We also propose enacting legislation to enable swift government response to tackle food shortages, including emergency food aid and support for affected populations.”

Speaker Abbas stated that as Nigerians navigate through “these tumultuous times,” the importance of unity and constructive engagement could not be overstated, stressing that the synergy between the three arms of the government – executive, legislative, and judiciary – is paramount.

He said: “For this reason, I call on every citizen to engage in positive and constructive criticism. Your voices and opinions are invaluable, providing the compass that guides our actions and policies. At this juncture, ladies and gentlemen of the press, as the Speaker of the House of Representatives, my colleagues and I invite Nigerians to engage critically with us on important national issues. In fact, we encourage and welcome criticisms, but these must be constructive and targeted at building national unity and cohesion and advancing development.

“However, while we encourage freedom of expression and constructive dialogue, we must also be wary of the dangers of fake news and campaigns of slander and defamation, especially against the President and senior government officials.”

The Speaker noted that there had been a rise in defamation campaigns on social media involving the deliberate dissemination of false and misleading information with the intent to harm the reputation of individuals or organisations. According to him, these campaigns often target political opponents, seeking to undermine their credibility, integrity, and public trust.

The Speaker cited the recent case of “unjustified and baseless allegations” against the Chief of Staff to the President, Rt. Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila, which he warned “point to the danger of an unfettered and unaccountable social media.”

He stated: “Such acts not only undermine the integrity of our democracy but also erode the fabric of our national unity. Yet, Femi is just one of millions of Nigerians who suffer cyber bullying and coordinated campaigns of defamation daily. Too many victims are not as powerful as him to defend themselves.”

“Those of us who have worked with him for over a decade can attest to his patriotism and integrity. His willingness to voluntarily subject himself to investigation by all security and law enforcement agencies demonstrates his rectitude and honour. I urge the security agencies to work diligently and swiftly to investigate all matters he has raised in his letter to them and inform Nigerians of their findings. If not found guilty, these agencies must fish out those responsible for the character assassination and ensure they are brought before the law.

“It is most unfortunate that someone who has, over the years, built a reputation through dint of hard work and commitment to service, should have same damaged by unscrupulous elements. The consistent attempt to pull him down for purely political or personal reasons and without consequence is deeply deplorable.”

In attendance at the press conference were the Deputy Speaker of the House, Rt. Hon. Benjamin Okezie Kalu; the Leader of the House, Prof. Julius Ihonvbere; Deputy Leader, Hon. Abdullahi Ibrahim Halims; Chief Whip, Hon. Usman Bello Kumo; and the Deputy Chief Whip, Hon. Adewunmi Oriyomi Onanuga.

Others were the Minority Leader, Hon. Kingsley Chinda; Deputy Minority Leader, Hon. Aliyu Sani Madaki; and Minority Whip, Hon. Ali Isa, as well as several chairmen of committees, caucus leaders, among others.

Advertisements

News

Police invites Emir Sanusi for investigation for violating Sallah Durbar ban [See copy]

Published

on

The Emir of Kano, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi has been summoned to the Nigerian Po,ice Force headquarters to face criminal investigation.

Advertisements

In a letter dated 4th April and signed by Commissioner of Police in Charge of Operations, Olajide Rufus Ibitoye, said he was directed by the Inspector General of Police to invite the Emir for questioning for violating Durbar ban.

Advertisements

A copy of the letter sighted by CAPITAL POST indicated that Sanusi led a Durbar processing to the Government House to pay homage despite the ban which the Police expressed security concerns.

The urged Emir Sanusi Lamido to appear on Tuesday,b8th April, 2025.

Sanusi reportedly led a procession in car as against the usual horses in which a 20-year old in the entourage was arrested and detained.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Senators Natasha, Abbo unite in peddling dangerous falsehood against me – Akpabio

Published

on

Senate President, Godswill Obot Akpabio has accused Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan and Elisha Abbo of being united I coordinated attacks against him lately.

Advertisements

He stated this following Natasha’s claims during a rally in her Kogi Central Senatorial District that he recruited the former Governor of Kogi State, Yahaya Bello to assassinate her outside Abuja.

Advertisements

At the rally on Tuesday 1st April, 2025 which was monitored by CAPITAL POST in Lokoja, Natasha accused the former Governor Yahaya Bello, having been contacted late in the night of March 12, 2025 to orchestrated ‘recall and assassination’ of her outside Abuja.

Natasha said she has intelligence reports that when she is killed in her Constituency, “it will look as if it’s her people that killed her.”

Though Bello was yet to issue a statement debunking the allgations or otherwise, Senate President on his part denied the allegation and described it as falsehood and inflammatory.

Reacting in a statement by the Special Adviser on Media and Publici, Hon. Eseme Eyiboh on Friday, Akpabio accused former Senator representing Adamawa North Senatorial, Elisha Abbo of toeing the similar part of blackmail, saying barely 24 hours later, on April 2, 2025, Elisha Abbo appeared on Arise Television to revive a previously withdrawn claim that Senator Akpabio “manipulated the judiciary” to secure his removal from the Senate.

The statement said: “Nigerians will recall that Mr. Abbo, in 2023, publicly retracted this same accusation and tendered an apology after acknowledging that his claims were founded on incorrect assumptions.

“His removal from office was the outcome of a constitutionally grounded judicial decision by the Court of Appeal, which independently determined that he was not duly elected to represent Adamawa North.

“In a further twist, Mr. Abbo also alleged that he was denied his entitlements by the Senate President. This, too, is categorically false. Entitlements such as salaries and allowances are processed strictly through administrative and legal procedures.

“The Senate President does not and cannot unilaterally approve or deny such requests. Any delays or rejections would have been based solely on due diligence and compliance with established protocols.

“The timing, tone, and striking similarity of these coordinated attacks point clearly to a politically motivated smear campaign. These individuals—backed by undisclosed interests—appear united in a desperate effort to undermine the credibility of the Senate and its leadership and intended to distract from their own personal and political shortcomings and failings.

“Senator Godswill Akpabio remains undeterred. As a statesman devoted to national unity, institutional integrity, and the rule of law, he will not be distracted by malicious falsehoods or inflammatory rhetoric.

“Regardless of the necessity for legal redress, formal letters of demand, seeking immediate public retractions, apologies, and compensation for reputational harm, are underway to be served on both Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan and Mr Elisha Abbo.

“We call on the Nigerian public in particular and the International Community to reject these baseless and provocative narratives. The Senate, under Senator Akpabio’s leadership, remains focused on its constitutional mandate: to promote legislative excellence, safeguard democratic values, and deliver meaningful progress for the Nigerian people”, the statement concluded.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Governor Ododo mourns death of Kogi East APC Chairman

Published

on

Late Suleiman Muhammed

Kogi State Governor, Ahmed Usman Ododo, has expressed heartfelt sympathy over the demise of Hon. Suleiman Muhammed, the Kogi East Zonal Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

Advertisements

In a condolence message to the family of the deceased and members of the APC in Kogi state, described the sudden passing of the APC Zonal chairman as a loss not only for the party in Kogi East but the entire APC family in the state.

Advertisements

According to the Governor “The late Hon. Suleiman Muhammed was a man of peace, humility, and one who demonstrated commitment to the service of the state and the APC as a party. He carried the aspirations of his people with dignity; his leadership was widely respected and his contributions deeply valued within and beyond the APC in Kogi East”.

“He was instrumental in strengthening party cohesion and promoting inclusive dialogue. His presence in every party engagement brought stability and thoughtful leadership to our consultations in the zone.”

Governor Ododo further noted that Hon. Suleiman’s calm temperament, sense of fairness, and ability to listen distinguished him as a unifying figure in the party.

The Governor also extends condolences to the family of the deceased, the leadership and members of the APC in the state, the people of Dekina local government area and the entire Kogi East Senatorial District.

He prayed that Almighty Allah (SWT) forgive his shortcomings and grant him Aljanatul Firdaus.

The late APC zonal chairman who served as the APC coordinator in Odu Ward 2 before becoming the zonal chairman of the party in Kogi East died at the age of 45 and has been laid to rest according to Islamic rites.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending


Address: 1st Floor, Nwakpabi Plaza, Suite 110, Waziri Ibrahim Crescent, Apo, Abuja
Tel: +234 7036084449; +234 7012711701
Email: capitalpost20@gmail.com | info@capitalpost.ng
Copyright © 2025 Capital Post