Sports
Eric Chelle: When Super Eagles ‘Foreign’ Coach fails to elicit optimism

In the days leading to the formal announcement of former Malian defender and coach, Eric Chelle, as the manager of the Super Eagles, both the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and the immediate past president of the football house, Amaju Pinnick, were very confident that a very sound coach would be announced to take charge of the former African champions.

On account of this, expectations were high that perhaps for once, a tested European manager would be appointed, particularly as the national team is on the verge of back-to-back misses for a place at the World Cup, with the 2026 ticket hanging in the balance.

Expectations were high given that a team of Super Eagles caliber cannot go for anything less satisfying given the players in the team and the huge expectations from Nigerians for a coach that could not only command the respect of Nigerians but one that would also be influential in the national team’s locker room.
However, Nigerians could not have been more surprising following Tuesday’s announcement of Chelle to replace interim manager, Austin Eguaveon. While information scooped from insiders in the NFF on Tuesday was pointing to the choice of the Malian as the would-be substantive manager, such was written off as not possible but the announcement of the West African shook the country to its foundation.
According to veteran sports journalist and one-time media officer of Enyimba, Solace Chukwu, the choice may not be bad but not after waiting all these while.
“I like Eric Chelle as a coach. His Mali played the best football at last year’s AFCON, for me. Again, though, an appointment of this calibre could have been made six months ago.
“If you make fans wait this long, you’re conditioning them to expect something properly better than this,” he said.
Chelle was the top pick of the technical committee of the NFF from a three-man shortlist, with the coach getting the backing of the NFF president, Ibrahim Musa Gusau, this time around after rejecting his application in July last year
While the shock has continued, with his immediate task, according to NFF, being the qualification of the Super Eagles for the 2026 Mundial, an NFF source told SUNDAY INDEPENDENT that the choice of Chelle was informed by NFF’s desire to go for experience, affordability and tactical acumen, traits the source said they found in the coach.
The source said Eric Chelle’s tenure with Mali offered the NFF a solid foundation for optimism, explaining that “during his time as head coach of Mali, he managed an impressive record, averaging 2.10 points per game over 21 matches.
“Under his leadership, Mali recorded 13 wins, five draws and only three losses, a statistic that highlights his ability to extract consistent results from his teams.”
Other reasons, it was gathered, was that his ability to devise strategies to outwit formidable opponents is a trait the Super Eagles would hope to leverage in their quest for international glory.
This could be right as the 47-year-old is known for his preference for attacking football, often deploying a 4-3-3 or a 4-3-1-2 formation that emphasises high pressing, quick transitions and creative runs in behind as seen with the Eagles of Mali at the last Africa Cup of Nations.
Above all, the coach, SUNDAY INDEPENDENT was told, is believed to be a financially more affordable option, allowing the NFF to balance its budget, while securing a coach with a proven track record.
This position is in tandem with analysts, who have argued that money was the main reason the Glass House opted for the coach, given that other coaches the NFF had earlier approached like Hervé Renard and Tom Saintfiet were reportedly seeking salaries double that of former manager, Jose Peseiro, a figure the NFF deemed unsustainable.
Meanwhile, as per a statement by the NFA, the Malian tactician will officially take charge of the team during the next international window.
Additionally, it is speculated that he will handle the Super Eagles B team during the upcoming African Nations Championship (CHAN), but his primary task will be to qualify the Super Eagles for the 2026 FIFA World Cup finals.
Despite whatever reasons NFF could have advanced in engaging the coach, some Nigerian football and sports stakeholders have screamed against the choice of the Malian to handle the star-studded Super Eagles on account of his experience and overall pedigree, which a lot of them noted are not measurably better than what Indigenous coaches in Nigeria could offer.
One of such voices against this choice is from Alhaji Mohammed Gara Gombe, the former Gombe State FA chairman, who dismissed Chelle as a kindergarten coach, one that shouldn’t have a place in the bench of the former African champions.
Despite that Chelle, 47, is a former Mali international with five caps and has coached clubs like GS Consolat, FC Martigues, Boulogne, and MC Oran, Gombe believed the NFF has made a significant error.
Speaking to Brila FM, Gombe questioned Chelle’s credentials and lack of prominence, stating, “Who is Chelle? Who knows him? What was his antecedent? Nothing.
“For goodness sake, all this waiting since AFCON in Ivory Coast, we cannot get a coach. And we ended up now, after all these years, appointing a kindergarten coach to manage the world-class players that we have. It is really unfortunate.”
Gombe’s harsh assessment reflects a sentiment that Chelle lacks the experience and profile necessary to manage a team with the stature and talent of the Super Eagles.
Another bashing to the NFF came from former Super Eagles star, Coach Taiwo Oluyede, who said, (while expressing his view in pidgin English), it was like the Glass House is confused
Expressing his anger, Oloyede said, “E be like say I go leave dis coaching job go join another job. How can a Malian come dey coach our national team? This NFF don’t know what they are doing.”
His comments also reflected the frustration of many local coaches and football stakeholders, who feel the NFF had consistently overlooked homegrown talent for key coaching positions.
He continued, “We have capable hands here in Nigeria. Why not give one of us the chance to handle the team?”
On his own, Samuel Elijah, former international, also voiced strong criticism of the NFF over the decision to appoint Chelle.
He expressed his dissatisfaction with the NFF’s decision, condemning the hiring of Chelle and highlighting the value of homegrown coaching talent.
“I don’t think this is the right appointment. We have a local coach (Austin Eguavoen) who has done well in our past matches,” Elijah said.
“He came and he redeemed the team. Now, they have been canvassing for a foreign coach all this while.
“I don’t know what the NFF is looking for, for me bringing Eric Chelle to take over the national team is a slap on our football.”
Elijah further questioned the credentials of Chelle, comparing his career to that of Eguavoen, and argued that the former was not a suitable fit for the Super Eagles.
“Who is Eric Chelle compared to Austin Eguavoen, in any way? Look at the playing career, look at the two of them playing for their various national teams.
“How many caps does he have, what was his achievement the last time he took the national team to Côte d’Ivoire, he couldn’t get to the final,” Elijah added.
Also, the umbrella body of all Nigerian students, the National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), described the appointment as an aberration.
In a press statement ion Wednesday, NANS said there are
experiences managers that should have been handed the task instead of Chelle, saying the development is a slap on Nigerians.
“We at NANS condemn this appointment as it falls short of standards our nation is known for, especially in the round leather game,” the statement read.
“Rather than giving Nigeria a half-baked or run-of-the-mill coach, the NFF can do better by appointing a Nigerian into the position of the coach of the Super Eagles.
“We seriously doubt if Chelle can secure a spot at the 2026 FIFA World Cup finals, a major mandate given to him by the NFF.
“We call on the football federation to reconsider this appointment and give the country a Super Eagles coach that will rekindle the country’s glory in the game of soccer, both in Africa and at the global stage.”
However, some Nigerian sports stakeholders have called for support for the Malian in his task as the Super Eagles coach
One of such stakeholders is former international, Felix Owolabi, who called on Nigerians to show belief and trust in the coach.
“Everything is about belief and confidence. If you give him confidence, he will give you his best,” Owolabi said.
On his own, Chris Green, former chairman of the NFF Technical Committee, emphasised creating the right environment for success.
“Since the NFF has announced him, I hope they’ve also arranged the environment he will work in so that he can thrive and qualify us for the next World Cup.”
Speaking similarly, Waidi Akanni, a former Nigerian international and ex-chairman of the Lagos State Football Association, urged Nigerians to rally behind Chelle.
“My opinion is we should support the coach, encourage him to do well, and let’s see what happens. Football is a game, and you never know.”
Also, Switzerland-based Nigerian coach, Adeyemi Adedeji, called for support, saying the Malian has what it takes to succeed in Nigeria.
Reflecting on Chelle’s achievements, he said, “Congratulations to Coach Éric Sékou Chelle.
“A sound technical and tactical coach that plays Naija wey! We saw him win against South Africa during AFCON and narrowly lost to Côte d’Ivoire in the quarter-finals.
“He also defeated the Super Eagles 2-0 with his Malian team during an international break.”
Also calling for support for the coach, former winger, Mutiu Adepoju, while speaking on Brila FM, appealed to Nigerians and the players to rally round Chelle so that he can be successful.
“I think the best thing we can do at the moment is for the Super Eagles to support the new coach, Eric Chelle, and hope all works out well”
“Nevertheless, I think the NFF has taken a decision, thinking that it’s the right decision.”

Sports
Real Madrid eye €45m-rated man city star

Real Madrid’s ongoing search for a quality playmaker has reportedly taken them to the Premier League, with Bernardo Silva of Manchester City emerging as a potential target.

According to a report from Real Madrid Confidencial, the Spanish giants are considering the Portuguese star as part of their plan to strengthen their midfield options.

The interest from Real Madrid in prominent footballers has been a recurring theme over the years, and their attention seems to be directed towards England this time.
Silva’s name appeared within the outlet soon after Manchester United manager Ruben Amorim shut the doors on Bruno Fernandes’ departure.
Bernardo Silva’s appeal and potential move
Silva is regarded as one of the most accomplished midfielders in European football. The 30-year-old has been a consistent performer for Manchester City, playing a crucial role in their domestic and European successes.
Now, there is a possibility that he may seek a new challenge. His contract with the English club runs until the summer of 2026, but reports suggest he could be available for a relatively modest fee this summer.
Real Madrid’s ongoing search for a quality playmaker has reportedly taken them to the Premier League, with Bernardo Silva of Manchester City emerging as a potential target.
According to a report from Real Madrid Confidencial, the Spanish giants are considering the Portuguese star as part of their plan to strengthen their midfield options.
The interest from Real Madrid in prominent footballers has been a recurring theme over the years, and their attention seems to be directed towards England this time.
Silva’s name appeared within the outlet soon after Manchester United manager Ruben Amorim shut the doors on Bruno Fernandes’ departure.

Sports
Barcelona oust Atletico Madrid to set up El Clasico Copa Del Rey final

Barcelona will face rivals Real Madrid in the Copa del Rey final after Ferran Torres secured them a 1-0 win at Atletico Madrid on Wednesday, progressing 5-4 on aggregate from the semi-final tie. Record 31-time winners Barca had the better of the clash at the Metropolitano stadium after the wild 4-4 first leg draw, and defeat leaves Diego Simeone’s Atletico with little to play for in the rest of the season. By contrast the Catalans are on the hunt for a potential quadruple and are unbeaten in 2025, stretching their run to 21 games without defeat. Atletico were the last team to triumph against Barcelona, winning before Christmas to go top of La Liga, but they now trail Hansi Flick’s team by nine points with nine matches remaining. “We can’t relax, we have to keep believing and working, with humility and I’m sure good things will come,” Torres told Movistar.

“If a final is already a huge motivation, imagine playing against your most direct rival.”
Madrid ousted Real Sociedad 5-4 on aggregate as well after a 4-4 draw on Tuesday at the Santiago Bernabeu.
Flick brought winger Raphinha back into Barcelona’s starting line-up and the hosts tried to shut him down through fair means or foul.

Cesar Azpilicueta was booked for one tackle, surviving a VAR review for a potential red card, while Rodrigo de Paul was also cautioned for going in hard on the Brazilian.
Teenage winger Lamine Yamal ran the show on the other flank for Barcelona, firing wide and teeing up Jules Kounde, who bypassed Robin Le Normand with some neat juggling before lashing over.
The 17-year-old played in Torres for Barcelona’s opener with a well-weighted pass, finished clinically by the former Manchester City forward, who has earned more minutes with his recent performances.
Yamal mishit a shot himself from a good position in the box, while Atletico goalkeeper Juan Musso denied Raphinha at his near post.
Simeone brought on Alexander Sorloth among three changes at the break, after he scored three goals in the three previous meetings between these sides this season.
Perhaps convinced he would make it four in four, Sorloth fired narrowly wide early in the second half with Antoine Griezmann open and ready for a simple finish.
At the other end, Raphinha forced another save from Musso but was himself guilty of not squaring for Fermin Lopez.
Sorloth rattled home what he thought for a few seconds was an equaliser, but he had strayed offside.
With Atletico ascendant, Flick brought on top goalscorer Robert Lewandowski for Torres, but the Polish veteran struggled to get involved.
With four minutes of stoppage time added on Atletico turned the screw, with Musso coming up for a late De Paul free-kick, but Barcelona held off the hosts to progress.
“We played really bravely here, it was not easy, especially in the second half,” Flick told Barca One.
“(The job) is not done, we’re fighting, we’re trying everything to win titles and we’re in a good way, the team is doing great.”
Atletico were dumped out of the Champions League on penalties by rivals Real Madrid in the last 16 and the Copa represented their most realistic chance of silverware this season.
“We have to thank the fans who supported us, we’re as sad as them,” said Atletico defender Jose Gimenez.
“We have to lift up our heads, finish the season in the best way possible and carry on.
“We have to accept the reality, with rational thinking and knowing we’re a long way off (the top of La Liga), but we’ll try until the end.”

Sports
Liverpool set to sign potential Salah replacement

Liverpool have looked to shop in La Liga in recent years, and they could look to do so again in 2025 in their bid to replace Mohamed Salah, who could leave the club when his contract expires at the end of the season.

Last summer, Liverpool came desperately close to signing Martin Zubimendi, but after lengthy talks, he ultimately decided against a move to the now-Premier League leaders, who could now look to go for one of his Real Sociedad teammates.

According to TEAMtalk, Liverpool hold a long-term interest in Takefusa Kubo, whom they consider to be their number one option to replace Salah in the event that he does move on this summer.
Kubo has had a rather quiet season for La Real, but he has still managed to accumulate seven goals and four assists across all competitions. He produced one of his best performances of the season on Tuesday as the Basque side were heartbreakingly knocked out of the Copa del Rey at the hands of Real Madrid.
And that defeat in the semi-final means that La Real are staring down the barrel of missing out on European qualification for next season, given that they are off the pace in La Liga. And should they miss out, the report states that it would increase the chances of Kubo being sold this summer.
La Real are well-covered in the event of Liverpool, or any other club, coming in for Kubo as they have him tied down to a long-term contract with a €60m release clause. However, that could well be triggered this summer, in which case they would be powerless to stop their Japanese winger from moving on. But for now, that possibility is not considered in the offices at Donostia-San Sebastian.

-
Security6 days ago
New Commissioner of Police in Niger, Elleman sends strong warning to criminals
-
News5 days ago
Abia: LG Chairman, Iheke accused of using soldiers to detain IRS agent, claims Governor Otti’s support
-
News6 days ago
Kogi Governor, Ahmed Usman Ododo salutes Tinubu at 74
-
News4 days ago
Kogi government bans rallies ahead of Natasha’s homecoming slated for Tuesday
-
News6 days ago
Plateau LP stakeholders endorses Barr Gyang Zi’s defection to APC
-
News4 days ago
Iran may secure a deal before Trump’s deadline – or face Israeli strikes in Tehran – analysis
-
News6 days ago
Akpabio pays historic visit to office of SA to President on Senate Matters
-
Business6 days ago
FCT Minister reveals how he would aggressively pursue revenue collection, tours infrastructure