Connect with us

News

Immigration CG sacked, told to hand over to most senior officer

Published

on

Acting Comptroller General of the Nigeria Immigration Service, Isah Jere

The Acting Comptroller General of the Nigeria Immigration Service, NIS, Isah Jere Idris, has been sacked from office.

Advertisements

He was directed to hand over to the most senior officer in the Service after he was appointed in acting capacity before his retirement in April 2022.

Advertisements

President Buhari at the time extended his tenure of office for one year which was expected to lapse on April 24, 2023.

In a letter dated Monday 17th April, 2023, addressed to the Acting Comptroller General, Nigeria Immigration Service and signed by the Secretary to the Civil Defence, Correctional, Fire and Immigration Services Board, the Chairman of the Board, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, directed that the Ag. CGI Jere Idris should hand over to the most senior officer of the service.

“You are directed to handover to the most senior officer in the service,” the letter reads inter alia.

You will recall, President Muhammadu Buhari had in a letter dated April 22, 2022, and addressed to the Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, by Chief of Staff to President Buhari, Prof Ibrahim Gambari, announced the approval of the extension of Jere’s tenure with immediate effect.

The letter read, “I write in reference to your correspondence dated March 15, 2022 on the above subject matter and wish to inform you that Mr President has approved a one-year extension for the Ag. CGI, Alhaji Idris Isah Jere, with effect from April 24, 2022

Advertisements

News

‘Your malicious campaign of calumny against me will not work’ – Akpabio blasts Senator Abbo

Published

on

The President of the Nigerian Senate Godswill Obot Akpabio said, he will not be distracted by the baseless allegation and antics of Elisha Abbo who formerly represented Adamawa North Senatorial District in the Senate, stating that it was unfortunate that the ex-lawmaker has started another round of malicious campaign against him.

Advertisements

This was contained in a statement made available to journalists on Thursday by the Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to the Senate President, Hon Eseme Eyiboh, declaring that Elisha Abbo’s outbursts are those of a failed politician who fraudulently represented Adamawa North Senatorial District before the Court intervention cleared him out of way.

Advertisements

Akpabio through his aide was reacting to Elisha Abbo’s blame on Akpabio, suggesting that he was responsible for his electoral woes in an interview he granted on Arise Television on Wednesday while he featured on politics today.

Part of the statement read: “The attention of the Office of the President of the Senate has been drawn to another round of spurious and malicious accusations by Mr. Elisha Abbo, who unlawfully represented Adamawa North Senatorial District save a judicial intervention.

“He has again sought to blame the President of the Senate, His Excellency, Senator Godswill Obot Akpabio, for the travail of his judicial sanction that occasioned his ouster from the Senate.”

Akpabio said he was perturbed the more over Elisha’s outburst on him over an issue he has regretted and apologized to him publicly in 2023—after admitting that his earlier accusation was “premature and based on the available information at his disposal.

He noted further that Abbo had once discussed with him last year and acknowledge that “he was not involved in the judicial process that led to his ouster from the Senate.”

“For the avoidance of doubt, the Court of Appeal, after a thorough legal process, ruled unequivocally that Mr. Abbo’s presence in the Red Chamber was in error. The court determined that he was not validly elected as the Senator for Adamawa North, and consequently, he was removed.

“The court acted in accordance with the extant laws and the Constitution within its sacred duty to uphold the rule of law. Senator Akpabio, a seasoned lawyer and democrat, holds the independence of the judiciary in the highest regard and would never interfere in its processes.”

Given that Abbo has exonerated him, Akpabio said he found it illogical and irresponsible for him to now turn around and heap blames on him.

“Mr. Abbo has also sought to create the impression that he was unjustly denied official benefits following his ouster. He claims entitlement to salaries, allowances, and even an official vehicle, despite the court’s declaration that his tenure was null and void ab initio.”

Akpabio noted that he has no executive fiat to approve finances, except such has been duly vetted and forwarded to him by the appropriate administrative units in line with the public finance guidelines.

If any of Mr. Abbo’s claims for payment did not reach the desk of the Senate President, it is because they failed to meet these lawful standards—not because of any personal or political vendetta.

It is unfortunate that instead of accepting the consequences of his legal and political failings, Mr. Abbo continues to resort to media theatrics and reckless finger-pointing. Even more telling is his record of public conduct. Nigerians will recall that in 2019, he was caught on video assaulting a female citizen in Abuja—an incident for which he was ordered by a competent court to pay N50 million in damages. This is a matter of public record and speaks volumes about his temperament and disposition.

His recent outbursts about unpaid travels and imagined plots further reinforce the conclusion that his actions are driven not by facts or principle, but by bitterness and desperation to remain politically relevant. These claims are not only baseless, but they reek of grievance and a refusal to accept personal responsibility for his removal and loss of public trust.

Senator Godswill Akpabio remains focused on the noble task of nation-building, providing purposeful leadership in the Senate, and strengthening democratic institutions—especially the independence of the judiciary. He will not be distracted by the antics of individuals who seek to rewrite history to mask personal failures.
We urge Mr. Abbo to reflect deeply, respect the rule of law, and focus on rebuilding the confidence of his constituents if he hopes to return to public life. Nigeria’s democracy can only thrive when its actors show maturity, responsibility, and an abiding respect for the truth.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Caveat Emptor: Firm Issues warning against Hampton Harbour property transactions

Published

on

Structured HQ Legal, (SHQ) has issued a public notice warning against any transactions involving the buying, selling, leasing, or letting of the Hampton Harbour landed property.

Advertisements

The landed property measuring at 19.5 hectares is located at Elegushi Royal Family Land, Ikate Ancient City, Eti Osa, Local Government Area, Lagos State with reference number 376/376/2777GC and belongs to the Baggeren International Company.

Advertisements

In an official press statement issued to the news men, the firm disclosed that the property is currently under legal scrutiny, cautioning that any individual or entity engaging in transactions related to Hampton Harbour does so at their own risk. They also emphasized that unauthorized dealings could lead to significant financial loss and expose parties involved to legal consequences.

SHQ further noted that any person(s) who proceeds with any dealings in relation to the Hampton Harbour property risks both financial loss and potential legal actions noting that such transactions may result in criminal and civil liabilities for trespass or fraud.

The public is strongly advised to exercise caution and ensure due diligence before engaging in any transactions concerning Hampton Harbour. Prospective buyers, investors, or stakeholders must seek formal confirmation and approval from Structured HQ Legal or Baggeren International Company Limited to avoid financial and legal risks.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

BREAKING: INEC rejects recall petition against Natasha for lack of requirements

Published

on

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, on Thursday said, requirements for recalling Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan representing Kogi Central Senatorial District were lacking in the petition.

Advertisements

In a statement to update circumstances surrounding a purported petition against Natasha, the INEC said, it has rejected the petition.

Advertisements

The Commission said, Natasha is a Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and there are requirements to recall her or any other Senator, but it cannot consider the petitions that lack merits.

Earlier the Secretary to the Commission, Rose Oriaran-Anthony, acknowledged receipt of petition against the embattled lawmaker from her constituents after submitting it to the INEC headquarters in Maitama, Abuja.

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan representing Kogi Central Senatorial District was the former Chairman of Senate Committee on Local Contents, but was suspended from the Senate over alleged breach of Senate Standing Rules.
Natasha disclosed that she has approached the Court to quash her suspension which she claimed was illegal.

According to the petitioners, over 250,000 constituents’ signed the petition, out of about 480,000 registered voters in the senatorial district.

The petition was titled Constituents’ Petition for the Recall of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan on Grounds of Loss of Confidence’.

In a brief statement on Thursday, the Commission said, “The petition for the recall of the Senator representing the Kogi Central Senatorial District has not met the requirement of Section 69(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended).”

The female lawmaker also on Tuesday defied ban by Kogi State Government and visited her Senatorial District in what she said, was a Sallah visit to felicitate with those who gave her their mandate.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending


Address: 1st Floor, Nwakpabi Plaza, Suite 110, Waziri Ibrahim Crescent, Apo, Abuja
Tel: +234 7036084449; +234 7012711701
Email: capitalpost20@gmail.com | info@capitalpost.ng
Copyright © 2025 Capital Post