Connect with us

News

.5 million jobs to be created at Ajaokuta Steel Company – Buhari

Published

on

Ajaokuta Steel Complex in Kogi State

President Muhammadu Buhari, in the course of the week, said the Ajaokuta Steel Complex would provide 500,000 estimated jobs for Nigerian youths.

Advertisements

The president revealed this during his one-day state visit to Kogi on Thursday.
He also spoke of the determination of his administration to position Kogi as an industrial hub as well as a solid mineral power base.

Advertisements

He explained how the Federal Government achieved the resolution of all legal entanglements that had bogged down the progress of the Ajaokuta Steel Complex.

According to him, the project stands to benefit the people of the state immensely.
The president had earlier hosted the leadership of the FCT and representatives of the FCT community, who paid him Christmas homage at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, at the beginning of the week.

During the Christmas homage, Buhari lauded the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Malam Mohammed Bello for exhibiting the virtues of transparency, honesty and integrity while managing the affairs of the FCT.
According to the Nigerian leader, he deliberately appointed Bello as FCT minister, and refused to redeploy him because of his good character.

He said Bello had proven to be a better manager of both financial and human resources.
Buhari also told his guests that he would not be hanging around the FCT, after May 29, 2023, in order not to meddle in the affairs of the office of his successor.

He reiterated that he would return to Daura, Katsina State, his hometown, at the end of his tenure.
According to him, his decision not to make Abuja a permanent abode is to allow his successor a free hand to operate and run the affairs of government.

The president also told members of the FCT community that he had not built a new house in Daura or anywhere and hoped to live in his same house of many years.
The president also inaugurated the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) newly acquired Estate in Idu-Karmo, Abuja, on Wednesday.

At the event, Buhari said the befitting accommodation would enhance productivity and coordination of activities of staffers of the agency in view of the increasing number of personnel to face new challenges and responsibilities.

He also used the opportunity to charge security agencies that would be engaged with various support services in the 2023 general election to maintain a high sense of professionalism.

Buhari urged the agencies to handle the distribution and monitoring of classified materials and other logistics ‘‘professionally and in accordance with Standing Operation Procedures.’’

While reiterating his earlier directive to security agencies to remain apolitical, the president said they must desist from behaviour that could bring disrepute to their organisations and the country ‘‘by compromising the democratic process.’’

On Wednesday, the Nigerian leader heaped praises on the newly promoted Commander, Brigade of Guards, Maj.-Gen. Mohammed Usman.

He described him as an outstanding officer who was serving the nation with great zeal.
The president, assisted by the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Faruk Yahaya and the wife of the Commander, Dr Rekiya Usman, decorated the officer with the rank of Major-General.

Speaking shortly after the ceremony in the Presidential Villa, the president recalled his tumultuous military career marked with coups, counter-coups and detention.

He described Usman as a very lucky officer to have risen to the height of his military career with distinction and without hiccups.

The president also expressed sadness over the passing of Prof. George Obiozor, the President General of Ohaneze Ndigbo, worldwide.

He extended heartfelt condolences to Obiozor’s family, the government and people of Imo as well as Ndigbo, at home and in Diaspora.

The president said the contributions of the unique leader and strong proponent of peace and a stable polity, who also held other strategic public positions, would never be forgotten.

On Friday, Buhari hosted the Senate President, Dr Ahmed Lawan at the State House, Abuja.
Lawan, who spoke to State House correspondents at the end of the meeting revealed that the president would sign the 2023 appropriation bill on Tuesday.

Lawan said that he discussed some national issues with Buhari, including the president’s recent additional loan request, the legislature’s support to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) ahead of the general elections and the 2023 Appropriation Bill.

Buhari had on Saturday paid tribute to late Pope Benedict XVI who was greatly admired globally for his selfless leadership and renowned learning as a theologian.

He commiserated with Pope Francis, the Catholic Church in Nigeria and around the world, as well as all Christian faithful mourning the passing of Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI.

He also lauded the deceased for his dedication to advance inter-faith dialogue and peace.
According to Buhari, the late Pontiff will be remembered as a true servant of God.
The president concluded the week under review with his administration’s last New Year message released by his media aide, Malam Garba Shehu in Abuja on Saturday.

He reassured Nigerians that under his watch, their collective will and votes in the 2023 general elections would be fulfilled.

Buhari thanked the almighty God who saw Nigerians through the year 2022 and had given them the opportunity to see another New Year.

”It as an opportunity to reflect on the past year, reposition, and move forward in the new year,” Buhari said. (NAN)

Advertisements

News

We are vindicated by ex-Rivers HoS revelation – APC

Published

on

The Rivers State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) has declared that it has been vindicated by recent revelations from the state’s former Head of Service, Dr. George Nwaeke.

Advertisements

The Rivers APC Chairman, Chief Tony Okocha, stated this in a statement he personally signed and made available to journalists on Wednesday.

Advertisements

The former Head of Service, who recently resigned had alleged that the suspended Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, was directly responsible for the political crisis in the state and the bombing of the State House of Assembly.

In response, the Rivers State APC asserted that Nwaeke’s testimony aligns with the party’s long-held position, as frequently stated by Chief Okocha, that the suspended governor was the architect of the state’s political crisis, including masterminding the October 29, 2023, bombing of the State House of Assembly.

Chief Okocha further emphasized that Nwaeke’s account, given his high-ranking position in the state, cannot be dismissed as mere speculation.

He said attempts to discredit the former Head of Service will not deter him from exposing the alleged corruption and misconduct that the APC has repeatedly highlighted.

“What is most interesting to the APC in Rivers State as a responsible political party is that Dr. George Nwaeke’s revelations and testimonies of how suspended Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his squad bombed the Rivers State House of Assembly is an eye witness account.

“Again , it has clearly vindicated the APC in Rivers State as the only visible and viable opposition political party in the State, and has cemented the love for the party in the heart of well meaning Rivers people as the voice of the voiceless, and the hope for a better Rivers State.

“The revelations made by the former Head of Service in Rivers State has further positioned her as a political party with high level of integrity, and the hope of Rivers people for a viable alternative to produce the Governor of Rivers State in 2027.

“The verbal attacks staged against the resigned Head of Service will not deter him from exposing the corruption within Sim Fubara’s administration, which we have consistently highlighted as the opposition party. On this matter, the APC shall function as watchdogs”, the party stated.

Chief Tony Okocha expressed confidence that security agencies would thoroughly investigate the matter.

“The APC in Rivers State strongly believes that the relevant security agencies will be professional enough to get to the root of the matter and make their findings public”, he said.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

CSOs demand urgent probe into ex-Rivers HoS allegations against Gov. Fubara

Published

on

A coalition of civil rights organizations, the Centre for Credible Leadership and Citizens Awareness (CCLCA), has called for an immediate and thorough investigation into the allegations leveled against suspended Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, by Dr. George Nwaeke, the former Head of Service of the state.

Advertisements

During a press briefing in Abuja on Wednesday, Dr. Gabriel Nwambu, Director General of the CCLCA, urged the Nigerian Police Force (NPF), Department of State Services (DSS), and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to take swift action in probing the allegations. He emphasized that if proven true, these claims pose serious risks to governance and democracy.

Advertisements

The coalition, comprising 30 civil society organizations, stands in solidarity with Dr. Nwaeke, who has expressed willingness to provide evidence of alleged corruption and constitutional breaches involving Governor Fubara and his Chief of Staff, Mr. Edison.

“We collectively urge the relevant authorities to act swiftly and transparently. Addressing these allegations is critical to restoring public confidence in governance at both the state and national levels,” Dr. Nwambu stated.

He commended President Ahmed Bola Tinubu for his intervention in Rivers State, which led to the declaration of a state of emergency, a move he described as crucial for stabilizing the region.

Dr. Nwaeke’s accusations against Governor Fubara include:

Arson and Sabotage: Allegedly instructing his Chief of Staff to burn down the Rivers State House of Assembly to prevent impeachment proceedings, a violation of Section 14(2)(b) of the 1999 Constitution.
Corruption and Financial Misconduct: Claims of large sums of money being used for personal and illegal activities, contravening Section 15(5) of the Constitution.
Threats to Public Safety: Alleged plans to sabotage state infrastructure, potentially inciting public disorder, which falls under Section 1 of the Terrorism Prevention Act (2011).
Collusion with Militant Groups: Alleged meetings between the governor, his Chief of Staff, and militant leaders, posing a threat to national security and violating Section 43 of the Constitution.
Suppression of Labour Rights: Alleged attempts to bribe labour leaders to silence dissent, contravening Section 40 of the Constitution, which guarantees freedom of assembly.

The coalition has urged law enforcement agencies to ensure a thorough, transparent, and expedited investigation into these allegations.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Deputy Speaker, Kalu appoints Hart as new Chief of Staff

Published

on

Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Benjamin Okezie Kalu has appointed Sam Ifeanyi Hart, Esq. as his new Chief of Staff (CoS).

Advertisements

Hart replaces Hon. Toby Okechukwu who was recently appointed Executive Director, Projects of the newly established South East Development Commission (SEDC).

Advertisements

Prior to his appointment, Hart served as Special Adviser to the Deputy Speaker on Public Affairs and has an extensive background in training and consultancy.

Hart also previously served as Director-General, Abia State Marketing and Quality Management Agency from 2019 to 2023 after occupying other appointive positions.

He was also a member of National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPPS), Kuru where he attended the Senior Executive Course 45, serving as Course Secretary-General.

He has also served on the Boards of several corporate and non-governmental entities.

Hart brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to his new role, with a distinguished career spanning law, leadership, and public service.

A lifelong learner, he holds multiple academic qualifications, including a Master’s Degree in Environmental Law (LLM) and a Bachelor’s Degree in Law (LLB) from Abia State University.

The new Chief of Staff is also currently pursuing a Doctorate Degree in Law.

A seasoned professional, Hart has attended prestigious institutions, including the GOTNI Leadership Centre, National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPPS), and the School of Politics, Policy and Governance (SPPG).

He is also a member of several professional bodies, including the Chartered Institute of Directors of Nigeria (M.IoD), Nigerian Institute of Chartered Arbitrators (ACIArb), and the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA).

As Chief of Staff, Hart will provide strategic guidance and support to the Deputy Speaker legislative activities, leveraging his expertise to drive policy initiatives and promote good governance.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending


Address: 1st Floor, Nwakpabi Plaza, Suite 110, Waziri Ibrahim Crescent, Apo, Abuja
Tel: +234 7036084449; +234 7012711701
Email: capitalpost20@gmail.com | info@capitalpost.ng
Copyright © 2025 Capital Post