Connect with us

News

Iran threatens to take out Tel Aviv if Israel follows through with new military plans

Published

on

The Iranian armed forces have threatened to take out two Mediterranean cities should Israel follow through with new military plans announced the day prior by the country’s top general.

Advertisements

Israeli Lieutenant-General Aviv Kochavi, chief of staff of the Israel Defense Forces, announced during a Tuesday address to Tel Aviv University’s Institute for National Security Studies that he felt a return by President Joe Biden to a 2015 nuclear deal with Iran or similar arrangement would be a “bad thing operationally and strategically” as it would allow the Islamic republic a fast track to building a bomb—something Iranian leadership has always denied it sought to do.

Advertisements

Kochavi said this analysis had caused him to draw up new plans against Iran, which he accused of operating through allied militias across the Middle East, including Lebanon and Syria, where Israel was already active in a campaign of air raids.

“In view of this fundamental analysis, I ordered the Israel Defense Forces to prepare a number of operational plans, in addition to what we have already, and we will develop them over the next year,” Kohavi said. “It will be the government, of course, who decides on implementing them, but these plans have to be ready, they have to be on the table and they have to be documented.”

These remarks resounded in Tehran, where Iranian Armed Forces spokesperson Brigadier General Abolfazl Shekarchi dismissed them as “psychological warfare.” He issued a stark warning in response.

“If even the slightest mistake is made, we will level Haifa and Tel Aviv in the shortest possible time,” Shekarchi said in comments carried Wednesday by the semi-official Tasnim News Agency.

The Iranian military conducts ballistic missile exercises as part of the Great Prophet 15 exercises in central Iran, January 15. The Islamic republic has the largest and most advanced missile arsenal in the Middle East.

Kochavi’s comments were also countered Wednesday by Mahmoud Vaezi, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani’s chief of staff.

“Our people and people of the region are familiar with the language so far used by the Zionist regime’s officials, who talk more and seek to conduct psychological warfare,” Vaezi said, arguing that Israel had “neither a plan nor the ability” to wage an attack on Iran.

He pointed to recent back-to-back exercises carried out by various branches of the Islamic Republic of Iran Army and Revolutionary Guard as signs that “we do not intend to invade or fight, but we are serious about defending the country.”

Vaezi mocked the previous administration of President Donald Trump, who closely aligned himself with Israel and withdrew from the nuclear deal, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), in 2018. Vaezi called Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner an “agent” of Israel, but said the new administration sworn in a week ago “has its own independence, like other countries.”

He then urged Biden to immediately rejoin the JCPOA and remove harsh sanctions levied against Tehran throughout the recent years of Trump’s self-styled “maximum pressure” campaign. The strategy, welcomed by Iran foes such as Israel and Saudi Arabia, severely escalated tensions in the region and led to the slaying of Revolutionary Guard Quds Force commander Major General Qassem Soleimani last year in Iraq, resulting in a retaliatory attack on U.S. positions and threats of further revenge.

Speaking at a vaccination event Wednesday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu doubled down on his warnings to Tehran.

“I would like to emphasize that the policy I am pursuing is clear: we will not allow Iran to arm itself with nuclear weapons,” the Israeli leader said. “I say this to enemies and friends alike, it is our top mission, to preserve the life of our country.”

Russia, Iran Flaunt Strategic Ties as They Face New US Policies Under Biden
Despite criticism of Trump’s approach to the Middle East, neither Biden nor his officials have offered any indication of a speedy return to the nuclear deal. Secretary of State Antony Blinken told lawmakers the new administration was “a long way” from that point during his confirmation on the eve of Biden’s inauguration last week.

Blinken repeated this position during a press conference conducted on his first full day in office Wednesday.

“Iran is out of compliance on a number of fronts,” Blinken told reporters, “and it would take some time should it make the decision to do so to come back into compliance and time then for us to assess whether it was meeting its obligations. We’re not there yet, to say the least.”

Such remarks have frustrated Iranian officials who see a U.S. return to the deal as a precursor for restoring uranium enrichment limits temporarily breached over the agreement’s failure to normalize trade ties due to U.S. sanctions.

“Why on earth should Iran—a country that stood firm & defeated 4 years of a brutal US economic terrorism imposed in violation of JCPOA & UNSC Resolution—show goodwill gesture first?” Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif tweeted Tuesday. “It was the US that broke the deal—for no reason. It must remedy its wrong; then Iran will respond.”

Rouhani too weighed in as well during a Wednesday cabinet session.

“Today, we are more confident than ever that the enemy’s economic war has failed and is in its final days,” the Iranian president said, adding, “These days, with the exception of a few countries, the whole world is calling on the United States to return to its commitments in the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action.”

Biden’s official policy statement praises the JCPOA, criticizes Trump’s decision to leave it and lays out a path for U.S. return, one predicated, however, on initial Iranian actions.

“If Tehran returns to compliance with the deal, President Biden would re-enter the agreement,” the policy states, “using hard-nosed diplomacy and support from our allies to strengthen and extend it, while more effectively pushing back against Iran’s other destabilizing activities.”

In addition to the U.S. and Iran, signatories to the JCPOA include China, France, Germany, Russian and the United Kingdom—all of which have called on the U.S. to return to the agreement.

Credit: Newsweek

Advertisements

News

Collapse rumours diversionary, but undeterred – Wike

Published

on

The Honourable Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Barr. Ezenwo Nyesom Wike, has dismissed as baseless and diversionary, widespread rumours about his collapse and being rushed abroad for treatment.

Advertisements

Speaking to journalists in Abuja on Thursday, following a routine inspection of ongoing infrastructure projects slated for commissioning in May to commemorate President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s second anniversary in office, Barrister Wike categorically denied the claims, saying that they were untrue.

Advertisements

He attributed the spread of these rumours to political machinations, specifically pointing to those he alleged, sought to divert attention from serious allegations of planned attacks on national assets, including the Rivers State House of Assembly complex as revealed by a former Head of Service of Rivers State government.

He said, “What happened was that the former Head of Service of Rivers State government came out to let the public know what was going on about a plan to bomb the House of Assembly complex and attack national assets. To divert the attention of people from focusing on that, they had to bring up rumours that I had been flown overseas. There was never a time I collapsed, there was never a time anybody took me overseas”.

The Minister said he was focused on his job of providing good governance in the FCT and would not be distracted by such unfounded rumours.

Barr. Wike emphasized his continued public engagements, citing his presence at the President’s Iftar engagement and his leading of Abuja residents during the Sallah homage to the President as evidence of his robust health. “You see me every day. The day Mr. President broke Iftar during his birthday, I was there. The next day, I led Abuja residents to pay Sallah homage. I see so many stories online, this is politics. Those things don’t bother us. We are not distracted. We are focused on our jobs.”

He thanked Nigerians for their concern but cautioned against wishing ill health on others, reiterating that only God determines the time of one’s passing. “I thank Nigerians for showing concern, but people should not wish their fellow human beings such a thing to happen. We know that we will die one day, nobody will remain in this world forever, but it’s only God who determines the day you will die. No human being can say you will die today or tomorrow. So, don’t bother yourself, I’m very agile and I can assure you that I will write the condolence letters for those peddling these rumours.”

Speaking on the infrastructure projects he inspected, Barr. Wike expressed satisfaction with the progress of work at the International Conference Centre (ICC) renovation, the Arterial road N16 in Gishiri and its interchange connecting Maitama District to Katampe, and the Judges Quarters and its access roads in Katampe District.

He said, “We were at the International Conference Centre where much work has been done. They are keeping to the time that they have given and they are also doing a good quality job. We’ve gone to Gishiri and the roads leading to the Justices Quarters. I’m very much impressed with the good jobs and the contractors handling these projects. You can attest to the fact that this is a quality job being carried out”.

He commended the contractors, including Julius Berger and CGC, for their commitment to delivering the projects on schedule and assured that funding, with the support of President Tinubu, was not a challenge.

He encouraged taxpayers to fulfill their obligations, promising that they will witness the tangible results of their contributions. “All we will say is that those who are supposed to pay their taxes should pay their taxes, and ask us what we are doing with taxpayers’ money. They can see what we are doing with taxpayers’ money.”

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Supreme Court sacks Abure, says leadership is party affair

Published

on

The Supreme Court has sacked Julius Abure as National Chairman of the Labour Party in a ruling that was delivered on Friday in Abuja.

Advertisements

The judgment has put paid to a prolonged legal battle of the party. In a unanimous judgment, In a delivered by a five-member panel, held that the Court of Appeal had overstepped its jurisdiction when it declared Abure as the party’s leader.

Advertisements

The Supreme Court ruled that the issue of party leadership is an internal affair beyond the jurisdiction of the courts, thereby overturning the lower court’s ruling. This decision has significant implications for the Labour Party, which has been embroiled in leadership tussles in recent months.

The judgment came after an appeal filed by Senator Nenadi Usman and another appellant, challenging Abure’s claim to the chairmanship. The court found their appeal meritorious and accordingly upheld it, solidifying the legal stance that party leadership disputes should be settled within party structures rather than through litigation.

In a further blow to Abure’s camp, the Supreme Court dismissed a cross-appeal filed by his faction of the Labour Party, describing it as lacking merit.

With this ruling, the legal battles surrounding the leadership of the Labour Party may have reached their final chapter, barring any internal resolutions or new legal maneuvers by the affected parties.

The verdict has sparked reactions from political analysts and party stakeholders, with some expressing concerns over the stability of the Labour Party ahead of the next electoral cycle. The party, which emerged as a formidable force in the 2023 general elections, now faces the challenge of reorganizing its leadership and uniting its members.

While the ruling may settle the legal aspect of the dispute, the political ramifications are far from over.

Party members and loyalists of Abure may seek internal resolutions or political realignments to navigate the fallout of this decision. The Labour Party’s next steps will be crucial in determining its future strength and cohesion on the national stage.

As of press time, Abure’s camp has not issued an official statement on the ruling, while other factions within the party have welcomed the decision, calling it a victory for internal democracy.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Supreme Court Verdict: A Triumph for democracy, unity of Nigeria – LP NCC

Published

on

In a landmark ruling today, the Supreme Court of Nigeria delivered a judgment that has been hailed as a significant victory not only for the Labour Party (LP) but also for Nigeria’s democracy. The ruling, which saw the removal of Mr. Julius Abure as the National Chairman of the Labour Party, is widely regarded as a triumph of democracy, the rule of law, and the resilience of Nigeria’s judicial system.

Advertisements

The statement celebrating the historic judgment was issued by the Labour Party National Caretaker Committee Secretary, Sen. Darlington Nwokocha who was present at the Supreme Court in Abuja during the judgment. The Secretary expressed immense gratitude to the Justices of the Supreme Court for their fair and forthright decision, which was described as a beacon of hope for the country’s democracy.

Advertisements

“This ruling is a monumental victory for the Labour Party and, more importantly, for the future of Nigeria’s democracy,” said the Secretary. “It demonstrates that the Judiciary remains the last hope for the common man, ensuring that justice and the rule of law prevail in the face of challenges.”

The Labour Party National Caretaker Committee (LP NCC) emphasized that the judgment is a clear indication that despite the struggles Nigeria faces, the nation’s democracy is resilient, and the judicial system remains a pillar of strength. It is also seen as a crucial step towards unifying the party and fostering an environment conducive to political reform and nation-building.

“This historic ruling is not only a victory for the Labour Party, but also for the Nigerian people and our democracy. It affirms that the rule of law will always be upheld,” the statement continued. “We now have an opportunity to rebuild Nigeria’s democracy and strengthen our party, which remains the political party of choice for millions of Nigerians.”

The Labour Party extended a call to all Nigerians, irrespective of political affiliation, to unite with the party in its efforts to restore and rebuild the nation’s democracy. “We call on all Nigerians to join hands with the Labour Party in the mission to restore the true values of democracy, justice, and equity in Nigeria,” the statement urged.

The judgment is being seen as a significant milestone not only for the Labour Party but for the entire nation, as it underscores the importance of a free, fair, and independent judiciary in maintaining democratic principles. The ruling have now firmly brought to an end the perennial leadership crisis within the Labour Party, enabling it to focus more effectively on its agenda for a better Nigeria.

The Labour Party also took this moment to express their deep appreciation to their supporters for their unwavering dedication and solidarity. “We thank Nigerians for their resilience, support, and trust in our cause. The Labour Party remains the people’s party, and together, we will continue to fight for a more just, equitable, and prosperous Nigeria,” the Secretary concluded.

As the Labour Party moves forward, it is committed to uniting its members and supporters to build a Nigeria free from oppression, where justice and fairness are upheld for all. The Supreme Court’s ruling today serves as a powerful reminder that in Nigeria, the law is supreme, and democracy will always triumph.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending


Address: 1st Floor, Nwakpabi Plaza, Suite 110, Waziri Ibrahim Crescent, Apo, Abuja
Tel: +234 7036084449; +234 7012711701
Email: capitalpost20@gmail.com | info@capitalpost.ng
Copyright © 2025 Capital Post