Connect with us

News

Human Rights Lawyer, Hamza, laments deaths on road blocked for nine years, in Maiduguri, writes CoAS, Tinubu, Zulum

Published

on

Barrister Hamza N Dantani

An Abuja based human Rights legal luminary, Barrister Hamza N Dantani, has raised an alarm on the deplorable loss of lives on the blocked section of the Kano – Maiduguri Expressway, adjacent Gomari way opposite Barwee Hotels, along Nigerian Air force Barracks, Maiduguri, Borno state.

Advertisements

In a letter to the Chief of Air Staff, CoAS, dated 17 December 2024, obtained by news men, Dantani, paints a gory picture of the hundreds of travellers that have lost their lives on the blocked section of the roads.

Advertisements

In the letter also copied to the president and Commander-in-Chief of Nigerian armed forces, Ahmed Bola Tinubu and the Borno state Governor Babagana Zulum, Barrister Hamza N Dantani, stated that “As an indigene, of Borno state, from Borno Central Senatorial District, he “appreciate the sacrifice and tireless efforts of the Nigerian Air force and the military architecture of the country, in safeguarding lives and property, particularly these challenging times marked by heightened security concerns all over the Country.

He however, wish to bring to attention the dire consequences of the continued closure of the blocked section of the Kano- Maiduguri Expressway adjacent Gomari way opposite Barwee Hotels along Nigerian Air force Barracks, Maiduguri, Borno state”.

Continued, he stated in his letter that the road ” which has now been blocked for nine years, served as a crucial link between several significant parts of Maiduguri state and the Northern parts of the Country and it’s important to the daily activities of Citizens”
” For emphasis access road to Borno State University, 777, and 1000 housing estate and other Communities like Gomari, Moranti, amongst others”

” While understand that the Section was closed for security reasons as a result of insurgency, the prolonged restriction has had far reaching negative impacts on lives of motorists and resident, more so, the road was blocked nine years ago, when there was a Boko Haram attacked in that axis , however, since then there has been no report of any attack in that area” he pointed out .

He observed that the concentration of traffic on the single accessible lane has therefore led to loss of lives and property
” Recently, my own family was personally affected when I lost my uncle, Abdullahi Umar, a former Staff of Borno Express in a tragic accident on the road ”
” These incidents among many others underscore the urgency of finding a balanced solution to the situation ” he laments.

While appealing to the Chief of Staff, he said that ” I will also like to point out that in other states road contiguous to Military Barracks have not been entirely restricted to public. Also , the road along the Barracks of other security forces in Borno state are not particularly restricted to the public, for instance both lane of the road, along the police Command in Maiduguri are open to the public and there have been no attack, same applies to the road adjacent Giwa Barracks in Maiduguri, Borno state, even the dualized road in front of the Army Headquarters and Nigerian police Headquarters in the Nation Capital remains open for use”.

While commending the security forces, The human rights lawyer, said that access road across some security locations” demonstrates that effective security measures can co-exist with unhindered public access to critical infrastructure.”

Advertisements

News

BREAKING: INEC rejects recall petition against Natasha for lack of requirements

Published

on

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, on Thursday said, requirements for recalling Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan representing Kogi Central Senatorial District were lacking in the petition.

Advertisements

In a statement to update circumstances surrounding a purported petition against Natasha, the INEC said, it has rejected the petition.

Advertisements

The Commission said, Natasha is a Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and there are requirements to recall her or any other Senator, but it cannot consider the petitions that lack merits.

Earlier the Secretary to the Commission, Rose Oriaran-Anthony, acknowledged receipt of petition against the embattled lawmaker from her constituents after submitting it to the INEC headquarters in Maitama, Abuja.

Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan representing Kogi Central Senatorial District was the former Chairman of Senate Committee on Local Contents, but was suspended from the Senate over alleged breach of Senate Standing Rules.
Natasha disclosed that she has approached the Court to quash her suspension which she claimed was illegal.

According to the petitioners, over 250,000 constituents’ signed the petition, out of about 480,000 registered voters in the senatorial district.

The petition was titled Constituents’ Petition for the Recall of Senator Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan on Grounds of Loss of Confidence’.

In a brief statement on Thursday, the Commission said, “The petition for the recall of the Senator representing the Kogi Central Senatorial District has not met the requirement of Section 69(a) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 (as amended).”

The female lawmaker also on Tuesday defied ban by Kogi State Government and visited her Senatorial District in what she said, was a Sallah visit to felicitate with those who gave her their mandate.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Uromi killings: DSS operatives arrest two principal suspects

Published

on

Operatives of the Department of State Security (DSS), have arrested two principal suspects involved in the killing of 16 Nigerians of Northern extraction in Uromi, Esan North East Local Government last week.

Advertisements

The suspects were arrested by operatives of the DSS in Uromi, following credible intelligence. Operatives of various security agencies are hunting for other key suspects involved in the unfortunate incidents

Advertisements

Edo State Governor, Senator Monday Okpebholo, had on Monday in Kano State, during a condolence visit, revealed that 14 suspects had already been arrested in connection with the killing.

Governor Okpebholo who visited the State to condole with the Government and families of the victims, had vowed that justice will be served and those involved in the killing will be brought to justice.

Governor Okpebholo had also assured families of the victims that adequate compensations will be paid.

In the latest development, the two principal suspects arrested by officials of the DSS, have been transferred to Abuja, the nation’s capital, for further interrogation and prosecution by the relevant authorities.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Nigerian Pastor acquitted of rape after spending 8 years in South African jail

Published

on

A Nigerian televangelist, Timothy Omotoso has been acquitted of rape after spending eight years in prison in South Africa.

Advertisements

Trouble started when the televangelist was accused of raping young women from his South African church, an accusation he denied when he was arrested eight years ago.

Advertisements

His trial was aired live I South Africa and gained interest across the country, but insisted that he was not guiltynof 32-count charges against him.

In 2018, one witness told the court she had been raped by the pastor – who ran a church in the city of Port Elizabeth – when she was 14 years old.

The presiding judge on Wednesday 1st April, 2025 delivered judgement, saying Pastor Timothy Omotoso has not bèn found guilty over this case because prosecutors had mishandled the case.

South Africa’s National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) shared a similar assessment, saying that “former prosecutors in the case acted improperly and the accused were not sufficiently cross-examined by the state”.

The NPA said it will now “consider its legal options”.

For his part, Mr Omotoso told the media he thanked God for the verdict.

His co-accused, Lusanda Sulani and Zikiswa Sitho, were also found not guilty.

Mr Omotoso was dramatically arrested at an airport in 2017 as he sought to leave the country.

His trial was the first prominent rape case to be broadcast live in a country where sexual violence is rampant.

The hearings attracted huge interest, and raised difficult questions about victims’ rights, impartiality and whether justice is best served by having television cameras in courtrooms.

Following Wednesday’s verdict, Mr Omotoso will be deported to Nigeria, South African media outlet News24 reported.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Trending


Address: 1st Floor, Nwakpabi Plaza, Suite 110, Waziri Ibrahim Crescent, Apo, Abuja
Tel: +234 7036084449; +234 7012711701
Email: capitalpost20@gmail.com | info@capitalpost.ng
Copyright © 2025 Capital Post